1/2 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 2/3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 c buttermilk
3/4 c chopped cooked prunes
Preheat oven 375.
- Take dried prunes and cover in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat. Let sit while you make the cake.
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well
- Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves
- Add buttermilk and mix throughly
- Mince prunes and add. Mix well
- Pour into 2 8' inch round pans that have been buttered and floured and bake for 35 minutes.
Frost with lemon butter frosting when cool.