Tuesday, December 26, 2017
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended. In a large bowl (KitchenAid's great for this) beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended. Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth. Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 deg. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. (Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but in this case it should be refrigerated. Return to room temp before using.)
Preheat oven to 375°.
Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin. Roll dough to a scant 1/4-inch thick.
Use additional flour to avoid sticking. Cut out cookies with desired cutter-- the ginger bread man is our favorite of course. Space cookies 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies-- very good!). Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
Adapted from: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-most-wonderful-gingerbread-cookies-80156
Saturday, December 16, 2017
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar, more for rolling
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Hershey’s Kisses, foil removed
Sunday, August 6, 2017
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.